Muskeg Lake Cree Nation (MLCN) is a progressive First Nation government that owns and manages a total of 35,123 acres in urban and rural lands. These lands are used for community living, agriculture, recreation and business.
Through business development and strategic partnerships, MLCN strives to become economically selfsufficient and to provide resources for community programs and services that will enhance the lives and well-being of our members.
MLCN Investment Management Corporation (MLCNIMC) maintains a diversified and successful portfolio, and oversees the operation of a number of business entities. The MLCNIMC mandate is to seek out the investment, partnership and development opportunities of MLCN land.
MLCNIMC is governed by an independent Board of Directors. The MLCNIMC Board of Directors is comprised of seven members: three (3) non-Muskeg Lake Board members and four (4) Muskeg Lake citizen Board members. The Board of Directors ensures corporate governance, strategic planning and goal setting for the organization; oversees the Management of the Corporation and its related business entities; and reports to the shareholders.
The MLCNIMC Management team is responsible for achieving the goals and financial targets set out by the Board of Directors. Management reports the results and developments in respect of the Corporation and its various business entities, including oversight and operation of Cree-Way Gas and the McKnight Commercial Center.
ICR Property Management and MLCNIMC have worked together to plan for future capital investment strategies for the McKnight Commercial Center, including with existing buildings and new acquisitions. This successful collaboration also includes implementing competitive municipal taxation, and forecasting future tenant opportunities and challenges. The results of this partnership include fiscal transparency, development of new assets, increased income, and a professional approach to managing these assets that is consistent with first class institutional landlords.
MLCNIMC and the Northern Strands Group of Companies (NSGC) partnered to create the Industrial Maintenance Canada Partnership. NSGC is a group of 3 companies that together are a one stop shop for the design, engineering, manufacturing and installation of a wide variety of products and services in the mining and construction industry.
The MLCN strives to ensure that the Board of Directors of MLCNIMC is comprised of financially literate community and business leaders that, collectively, have a mix of industry knowledge and business experience gained from working in senior management, investment, financial services, economic development, property management and/or construction.
As a collective, these community and business leaders:
- have experience in corporate governance and business management;
- possess the ability to successfully lead and oversee strategic planning, stakeholder relations, and risk management;
- have in-depth knowledge of human resources, policy development, public relations, performance management and measurement, project management and other related business disciplines and practices;
- exhibit exceptional ethical integrity;
- exercise sound judgment, are teachable, collaborative in approach, constructive in tone and respectful to each other, the Management team, employees, and other stakeholders;
- are committed to the MCLNIMC and demonstrate that commitment through their willingness to listen, learn and continue to develop their skills;
- apply their learning to MCLNIMC as they proactively make wise, strategic, forward-looking decisions based on well understood trends and proven business benchmarks and practices; and
- are individuals who uphold strong values in both word and action, exercised with a high degree of emotional intelligence, maturity and moral reasoning.
Board Member Sought
This position is for a Director to serve on the Board of Directors of MLCNIMC (as one of the four (4) Muskeg Lake Cree Nation citizen Board members).
The candidate sought for this position:
- Should be financially literate (including having the ability to understand basic principles of business and finance);
- Should have general entrepreneurial and/or business management experience;
- Must be registered as a Muskeg Lake Cree Nation band member;
- Must not hold any office with the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation Chief & Council.
Individuals that wish to be considered for this Director position need to submit a resume detailing their education, work history and previous board experience, and will also need to provide at least 2 letters of recommendation, by September 15, 2018 to the attention of:
MLCN Investment Management Corporation
Attention: Governance & Nominating Committee Co-Chairs
112 – 335 Packham Avenue Saskatoon, SK S7N 4S1