Applicants for internal postings are required to state how they meet the eligibility requirements in their cover letter. Internal postings are open to qualified band members of Kinistin Saulteaux Nation, Mistawasis First Nation, Muskeg Lake Cree Nation, Muskoday First Nation, One Arrow First Nation, Whitecap Dakota First Nation, Yellow Quill First Nation, or eligible current employees of the Saskatoon Tribal Council.
Saskatoon Tribal Council (STC) improves the quality of life of First Nations through mutually beneficial partnerships with community organizations and industry. Opportunities for improved living are accessed through programs and services in health, safety, economic development, education, and financial investments in the broader community. Acting as a representative body for seven First Nations, STC delivers programs and services to those living in member communities and Saskatoon. More information is available at www.sktc.sk.ca.
FIRE: Fairness, Integrity, Respect, Excellence
Working out of the Saskatoon office, under the direction of and directly reporting to the Director of Housing & Technical Services, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting in improving the quality of housing and increasing the technical knowledge of STC Member First Nations. Working with the current STC Housing team, the Building Inspector Trainee will develop their knowledge of First Nation Housing through different mechanisms: correspondence Building Code Training, training and workshops, mentorship with STC Advisor, on the job training – attending housing inspections and related administrative duties.
This position is funded through the Housing Internship Initiative (HIIFNIY) which requires that the incumbent be between the ages of 15 and 30 years old, unemployed and not receiving E.I. benefits. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to work collaboratively with the STC Housing and Technical Services team.
- Enroll and complete the correspondence Building Code Training (Sections 1, 2 & 3) including scheduling and completing any exams or training courses related to the industry:
- Inspecting Existing Dwellings
- Blueprint Reading
- Attend Housing Inspections with Housing Advisor
- Administration related to Inspections:
- Record Keeping
- Scopes of work
- Progress Reporting
- Cost Estimating
- Plans Reviews
- Data Base Input
- Participate in Cyclical Fire and Housing Inventory inspections.
- Develop working relationships with First Nation Housing Department employees.
- Work with outside agencies when necessary to assist First Nations with the development of housing projects.
- Other duties as specified by the Director of Housing and Technical Services.
- Interest in construction/housing industry;
- Attended high school woodworking or construction classes would be considered an asset but is not necessary;
- Proficient with PC software applications (MS Office applications, internet; AutoCAD and database familiarity considered an asset but not necessary);
- Must be willing to learn;
- Must possess a valid Saskatchewan driver’s license, have access to a reliable vehicle and meet STC’s insurance requirements;
- Knowledge of general construction practices related to residential housing;
- Knowledge of First Nations aspirations and culture;
- Ability to work and communicate in a cross-cultural setting is required;
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain effective working relations with the Tribal Council, Chief, Band Councilors, staff and contracted employees;
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills-both oral and written;
- Must be highly productive and have strong time-management skills;
- Must provide a current, original, Canadian Criminal Record Check (CPIC) check at time of interview.
Job posting closes 4:30 p.m. Monday July 10, 2017. To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter along with three (3) written references to:
Saskatoon Tribal Council
c/o Riley Bear
Suite 200-335 Packham Avenue
Saskatoon SK S7N 4S1
Fax: (306) 244-1097
No telephone calls please, Saskatoon Tribal Council appreciates the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.