There are approximately 1,848 members of the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation. Located just north of Blaine Lake, SK, our reserve is home to about 450 members.
Getting there: From North Battleford or Prince Albert, take Highway 40 to Blaine Lake. From Saskatoon, take Highway 12. At Blaine Lake, turn east at Lafond Gas Bar (there is a sign) and travel north on the Crown Hill grid road for about 15 km.
While the core reserve was first surveyed in 1879, two agreements led to the Treaty Land Entitlement (TLE) Trust in 1992, making it possible for Saskatchewan Indian Bands to acquire land by reaching out to surrounding communities and municipal governments to purchase lands up to the maximum entitlement of 34,000 acres (plus any shortfall from a survey error in 1881).
TLE lands include the following:
- Saskatoon – An urban reserve comprised of business ventures and leased commercial spaces, including the McKnight Commercial Centre and CreeWay Gas
- Pitihkwakew Lake: A remote, pristine wilderness area that offers camping and recreation.
- Agricultural Lands – Eight parcels of agricultural land are located by or near the rural municipalities of Leask, Meeting Lake and Blaine Lake. Five of these lands are leased, and all are used for pasture and hayland or for crops.
- Church – A church is located on the reserve on a piece of land acquired through the TLE Trust.
Two additional parcels of land are waiting for reserve status designation.
- 35,123 acres in total
- 11 locations in Saskatchewan, including ten near the rural municipalities of Leask, Meeting Lake and Blaine Lake, plus Saskatoon
- Five leased lands for agricultural use
- Land uses include agricultural (pasture and hay or crops), recreational (Pitihkwakew Lake), and commercial (McKnight Commercial Centre, Saskatoon)
Joanne Durocher – Lands Manager
Dennis Greyeyes – Lands Coordinator
Steven Wiig – Climate Change Coordinator
Anita Lafleur – Lands Department Assistant