The Family Support program focuses on providing positive outlets and developmental opportunities for families. This includes supporting the provision of programs and services to strengthen families and prevent family breakdown. Services offered are advocacy, parent education, parent aides and family support homes.
The Family Mentor assists children and families, helping to identifying the best approach to support children and their nuclear and extended families with positive parenting practices. Emphasis is placed on keeping our children safe and retaining them within the family and community.
The Family Mentor is responsible for the implementation of approved Prevention Programs.
- Coordinates and provides awareness and educational workshops, parenting programs, and other supportive activities
- Facilitates community information workshops on effective and healthy parenting that addresses various family groups (e.g., young parent, single parent, step-parent, grandparent and foster parent families
- Provides information, referrals and support services to families
- Develops, coordinates and/or implements programs (e.g., parenting training, life skills, family fun activities)
- Develops and delivers services to support children who are “in care” on-reserve in Muskeg Lake Cree Nation
- Ensures that all case documentation is carried out properly and files are kept current
- Recruits Family Support Homes within the community and provides support to meet the required standards
Early Childhood Development Mentor
- Develops and maintains programs and services that support early childhood and family development needs
- Offers support for families through mentoring, workshops and coordination with other MLCN programs (Nutrition, Environmental Health, Community Nursing, Child and Family Services, Education)